Kids Activity - Paper Flowers in an Altered Vase

Hello,

I'm here to share an activity I loved teaching and doing along with my 5-year-old daughter Bhuvi. It is a great way to engage kids during these quarantine days, and have fun at the same time.

These are simple paper flowers using the fringe technique and we also made a vase to hold the flowers. Have a look at what we made!




All you need to do this vase are below:
1. Colored papers
2. Scissors
3. Straws
4. Glue
5. Waste plastic box/jar
6. Papers and embellishments to decorate

I took a few colored A4 sheets and cut them into strips of around 3-4 inches wide. I then drew a pencil line across the long side, for my daughter to cut the fringes. She used scissors to cut up to the pencil mark. After she finished around 2-3 strips with wide fringes, I asked her to make them thinner so the flowers look more beautiful. And here is what she did! Wow!! I was amazed at all those tiny straight cuts, all along the way! Even I wouldn't be able to consistently do it! For the age of 5, I never expected this from her! Super proud mom here! :)



We then used straws from juice boxes as our stem. We glued one of the paper around the straw and rolled them tight. Once done, adhere the ends and open up the flowers. They are ready :) We made a couple more in baby pink and yellow papers.

For the vase, we used a plastic box, I believe it was whipped cream :) Bhuvi used it to store some tiny jewels and doll house objects in it :) So, we wrapped the box using a pink patterned paper, and decorated the bottom with a pink lace. She loves all pink, so here we are! She also added a couple of sequins and star embellishments over the patterned paper, to add some bling. To cover the top portion, I die-cut a scalloped stitched circle using Gina Marie Stitched Scalloped Circle dies, from pink cardstock and adhered it to the mouth of the box. We filled the box with some marbles and added the flowers to them, to complete :)


Thank you for stopping by, hope you like our work! Do let me know your feedback! Have a nice day :)

Comments

  1. Super fun project! Thanks for playing along with Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely project! Thanks for joining our Anything Goes Challenge at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends. I hope join us again real soon!
    Hugs, Joy
    Joyfully Stamps
    Lil Patch of Crafty Friends, Owner/Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karthika this is such a fun way to engage children in crafting. As a child myself I was always making things , recycling whatever I could find and making something new. I do hope this is something Bhuvi continues as she gets older.

    Thank you very much for entering your lovely vase & flowers into our challenge. Good luck with the prize draw.

    Stay healthy, happy and keep crafting :)

    DT for Through The Craft Room Door

    Made By Mandy – My personal Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun are these! So glad that you join the fun with my “Show & Share”! WONDERFUL! Very happy to see your lovely work! Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and very colorful creation! Thanks for joining us at Daisy Chain Challenges.

    groetjes, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute flowers. Thanks for joining in this months 'Flowers' challenge over at Crafty Calendar.
    Hugs
    Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great project for kids of all ages! Thank you for joining us at the Crafter's Castle Challenge Blog. ~Tracy, DT Member

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular